Chocolate And Your Dog

Chocolate And Your Dog

With Christmas just around the corner, we can’t stress enough to be careful with holiday treats scattered about the house.

Please have a chat with your children or other family members not to leave their goodies lying around the house if you have pets (especially under the tree or in sacks within paws reach).

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and depending on the type and amount of chocolate consumed and the weight of your dog, it could cause a serious medical emergency. If you know your dog has eaten chocolate, it’s important to monitor him for signs of toxicity (see below), and it’s recommended that you contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

What are the Signs of Chocolate Poisoning?

Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it, may last up to 72 hours, and include the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Restlessness
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased urination
  • Tremors
  • Elevated or abnormal heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Death

Please call us on 5370111 if you think your dog has eaten chocolate and if we are not open please go to the emergency vet!

Manukau After Hours Vet Clinic
15 Jack Conway Ave, Manukau
(09) 277 8383


If you need emergency treatment for your pet after hours please call the Manukau After Hours Veterinary Clinic on 09 277 8383. This clinic is located at 15 Jack Conway Ave and is staffed by Nurses and Veterinarians all night, weekends and public holidays.